4017 County Road JJ, Black Earth, WI 53515


Dane County Zoning Permit: Applications must be retrieved from Dane County Zoning. A zoning permit may be needed if you are altering an existing building, constructing a new building, doing major repairs, constructing or altering a deck or other structures such as a fence, adding a solar collector, adding a bay or bow window, etc. Contact Dane County Zoning at (608) 266-4266 or email [email protected] for more information.

Dane County Erosion Control or Shoreland Mitigation Permit: Certain projects such as building a new structure, cleaning out drainage ditches or ponds, doing brush or tree cutting, or any filling or grading occurring in a flood zone, wetland, or shoreland area may require these permits. Please contact Dane County Land and Water Resources to verify. Dane County Land and Water Resources can be contacted by emailing [email protected] or by calling (608) 224-3730 

Building Permit: In addition to a Dane County Zoning permit, you may also need a Town of Vermont building permit to build, repair, remodel, move, replace siding, add new windows or doors, re-shingle your roof, etc. A building permit is not required for door or window replacements that are of the same size and located within the same location. Building permits are not required for AC/furnace/water heaters/ or water softener replacements. Unsure if your project requires a building permit? Please direct permit questions to Diane Anderson: [email protected] 

Town Driveway Permit: A driveway permit is required to locate, establish, construct, or substantially reconstruct a driveway, road, or other access, or when a house is to be torn down and rebuilt, to a property from a town highway or to a private road within the Town of Vermont. Unsure if your project requires a driveway permit? Please direct questions to Diane Anderson: [email protected] 

Do you need driveway access from on a County road or highway? Access to properties located on a County highway is overseen by Dane County Highway and Transportation. More information regarding the County’s permitting process can be found here or by contacting Kevin Eslick, Associate Highway Engineer at (608) 283-1486 or by emailing [email protected].

Do you need driveway access from on a State highway? Access to properties located on State highways is overseen by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation. Please contact Scot Hinkle at (608) 246-5334 or [email protected].