The Town of Vermont Patrolman is Jack Schulenberg who has been serving the residents of Vermont on a full-time basis since 2008. One of the primary responsibilities of the patrolman is maintenance of the town roads. You can contact the Patrolman at 608-767-2457.
Road Issue to Report?
Roads within Vermont Township are maintained by three government entities depending upon their ownership.
To report road damage, downed trees or pot holes, please notify the appropriate entity below:
- TOWNSHIP ROADS (named roads, not numbers or letters):Patrolman Jack Schulenberg by phone at 608-767-2457 or 608-712-2793. Any issue that the Township is informed of regarding a Town owned and maintained road will be responded to in a expeditious manner.
- STATE ROADS(designated by numbers, i.e. 78): Dane County Highway and Transportation by phone at 608-266-4261 (Monday-Thursday 7:30-4:30 pm). If after hours, contact non-emergency number 608-255-2345.
- DANE COUNTY ROADS(designated by letters, i.e. JJ): Dane County Highway and Transportation by phone at 608-266-4261 (Monday-Thursday 7:30-4:30 pm). If after hours, contact non-emergency number 608-255-2345.
Tree Trimming Policy
Vermont’s tree trimming policy
- Protect the Town’s investment in their roads
- Provide safe roads
- Allow for efficient road maintenance
The patrolman and his team may cut within the town right-of-way if they present a safety concern on a road curve or at an intersection.
Branches that are hanging less than 25 feet above an area that covers the road width and right-of-way will also be trimmed. Trimming will be done while the tree is dormant. Due to oak blights, trimming of or near oak trees will be done in winter months.
Wood that is cut will be left in appropriate lengths along the roadway for landowners to collect the same day. If the wood is not picked up the same day, the patrolman may make other arrangements.
Mowing is generally 20 feet back from the edge of the road. Every attempt will be made to respect any prairie plants or other wildflowers along the roadways per landowners request.
Winter Road Maintenance
Maintenance is completed in the order of priority below:
- All daily traveled school bus routes
- Collector roads
- Daily traveled U.S. mail routes
- Dead-end roads
All other roads will be plowed as son as equipment is available on in the immediate area with available time. Turn-around plowing is the responsibility of landowners. Turn-arounds must be of adequate use for town equipment.
By state statute (81.15), the Town has 3 weeks to remove natural snow and ice accumulation. The Town’s goal is to maintain the roads in good winter driving conditions as weather, equipment and budgets allow.
The town road crews will not plow on private property without authorization from the Town Board. The Town of Vermont will not take any responsibility for removal of snow that is plowed into private driveways from the road clearing operation. Driveway maintenance is the property owners responsibility.
Please note: State statute prohibits plowing any snow from driveways onto the town road. If you hire someone to plow your driveway, be sure they know the law concerning this matter.